Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Coincidences?

Have you had things happen to you that just seem like they can’t possibly be a coincidence?
I’m pretty sure you have.
As it happens I am not one to believe in fate, or a particular higher meaning to our being for that matter. I’ve kind of been leaning towards the belief that everything is more or less coincidental, and that it is up to us to make the best of and give meaning to what we have and what happens to us. Be optimistic and make it special.
But sometimes things happen that just make me wonder. And there has been an awful lot of funny coincidences of late.
Maybe it started in Minneapolis. Maybe it started before. I’m not sure.
I had been in Minneapolis for a week and was invited to a dinner party. There I met many nice people and talked to a very nice and cute guy. Afterwards he cycled me home and we swapped numbers. Promising! Two days later my brother drove me to a thrift store to do some work-shopping. It was 9am on a Tuesday and hardly anyone there. But as I walk into the shop, which was not small by any means or definition, the first thing I see is the cute guy from the dinner. Wow, I thought, what a great beginning, this must mean something! As it turned out a few days he already had a lady friend and nothing ever happened between us except that we bumped into each other by chance 2 times after that and had friendly chats. I thought no more of it.

Until now. Last Wednesday my disbelief in destiny was as challenged as it will ever be until I actually change my mind and start believing in it.

Half a year ago, when I was still in London, I met a different guy. That was a completely different ‘meeting’, maybe most intense and magical I have ever experienced in such a short time. It was like a weekend of fireworks, except much more fun than fireworks and not quite as many loud bangs or children running around with glow-sticks and shouting. After the weekend he left the country and we continued expressing our adoration for each other with great intensity through email, for a week. When, completely unexpectedly the affair came to an end, as suddenly as it had begun. Complete silence until I finally received a letter explaining and apologising in the most beautiful and sympathetic way. That was that.
As it happens this man lives in Copenhagen. So when I was going there I couldn’t help thinking of him, and, despite not having heard from him at all for almost 6 months, I sent him a letter telling him I would be coming and whether he would like to meet. I was almost surprised to receive a reply saying that he would love to.
So I wrote back suggesting a day to meet but on my arrival in Copenahagen I still hadn’t heard back from him and wandered whether I should be taking ‘Lonesome Town’ on the train as a warning. I arrived around lunch and after settling in and having a shower and a bit to eat I decided to walk into town where I was meeting a friend later. As I strolled down the street towards the centre I wondered what he was doing and whether I should try to call him in the evening or just leave it, when suddenly there he was. On a bicycle, stationary at the red light by the zebra crossing I was about to cross. I couldn’t even speak. I just walked on and stared at him in disbelief until he looked my way and our eyes met. It is too corny to say that for a moment it felt like time stood still. Suddenly he was off his bike, on the sidewalk and as we let go our embrace we stood opposite each other, still holding hands, our eyes fixed on each other, smiling, sparkling, amazed. It was the most wonderfully bizarre moment. We both had so many things we wanted to talk about and tell each other but were both on our way somewhere so we decided I would call him in the evening and we would meet the next day. As I walked away I wondered if I had perhaps imagined the whole thing. What are the odds in a city of millions that I would run into him, and within 4 hours of my arrival?! Can you imagine my relief when he actually picked up the phone in the evening and suggested he come and meet me at where I was staying and we go for brunch somewhere.

Can you blame me if for a moment or two I forgot about my ‘no such thing as destiny’ rule and thought that this was two crazy to be a coincidence?

I have rarely felt as disappointed and stupid as the next day, when I had waited for 3 hours and finally tried to call him. The last thing I heard from him was his voice on his answering machine announcing to me that he was unable to pick up the phone but that I could leave a message. I did not.
I guess I’m back to ‘there is no such thing’, although, just because this wasn’t the magical twist of fate that changed my life forever, you can never be sure about the laws of the universe.

And not to end this on a melancholy note and to prove that I am the master of the universe when it comes to running into people in the most unlikely situations, here is a funny ending.
Last night I was at the supermarket doing last minute shopping for the farewell dinner. I was crouched down in an isle in Irma, the rather expensive supermarket but the only one still open at that hour, when suddenly I hear a man speak my voice. I look up and there is Rune who I have only met in London a few times because am friends with and used to live with his girlfriend, Lina. It turns out that he doesn’t live in the neighbourhood, not even close, but was there by some off chance and thought he would do a little shopping on his way home.
So we had an extra guest for our lovely little dinner where we ate so much lovely food that I am now grateful that we fucked up the muffins we were also trying to make. If I would have eaten them too I would still not be able to move.

By the way, I have just arrived in London!

2 comments:

Beluga Frank said...

hahahaha like it was a conincidence that rune was in irma! he looks like a bum, but is really a gourmet snob and is too lazy to cook sooner and has to pay up! Lucky his girlfriend has friends that can invite him for dinner :D

wish i had been there :D

Anonymous said...

You are a great writer, girlfriend. A true artíst. Dingding.