Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Copenhagen

A group of teenagers loudly speculate whether there are metal detectors and drug-dogs on the way into Copenhagen. I can't imagine there is blooming business in smuggling drugs and weapons from Iceland to Denmark. But then, what do i know.
The cue slowly moves slowly past me and I should probably stand up and close my laptop so I can get onto the plane too. There is no internet here though so even if I am writing this during my last moments on Icelandic soil (if you can call the floor of an airport soil) this will not reach your eyes till I am off the plane again and in Denmark.
I was asked if i wanted a seat by the isle or window. They never ask you if you want a middle seat. I chose a window seat, the only free on was in the last seating row. The lady thought there was a good chance I might have the entire row to myself, apparently it is the least popular row.. perhaps it will now be my most favorite row. The cue is still long but moving more quickly. I will finish this later today,

Maybe it is my new favourite row. I didn't get three seats to myself, the plain was completely full. But I did sleep the entire way apart from about 10 mins at take off and landing and didn't even get pins and needles.

On my walk from the airplane to baggage reclaim I walked through one of the round turning glass door thing and was in a 'compartment' with two teenage boys, possibly part of the smuggling speculating group. As we walked through they said something rude in Icelandic assuming I didn't understand. You should have seen their faces when they realised that they did. I think every Icelander that has gone to Denmark is familiar with this and has learnt very quickly to be more careful.

On the train from the airport I turn on my i-pod, which is set on shuffle and wait for a song to set the tune of my stay in Denmark. As the people around me struggle with getting there luggage on and into place I sit in the corner of the isle listening to 'Lonesome Town' made famous by Pulp Fiction, a song about broken hearts – streets filled with regret and wanting to forget.
I sit and wonder whether I should be reading something into this, a mere coincidence or is this song telling me shat to expect of my Copenhagen experience. Luckily I don't read to much into incidences like this but obviously it makes me think..
The next song isn't much more cheerful.. although one of my favourite songs. Madeleine Peyroux sings 'Between the Bars'.. 'people you've been before that you don't want around anymore, that push, shove, won't bend to your will..

I'm not superstitious enough to believe that my stay here will be anything but wonderful however. In fact it is already! I spent a wonderful day with two old friends and one new. It's great to be here and I'm going tomorrow.
Tomorrow might change my life.
Magick is everywhere!
Pedestrian traffic in Copenhagen is not like in London. I was told off for crossing the street on a red light. I will not do it again!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

missyou:*

knúsimúsmeðlús!

Ms. Berger said...

hvern þekki ég með lús?
:)

Anonymous said...

ekki mig...